Dr. med. David Adlersberg
- Rohatyn, Ukraine, 23.07.1897
- New York, USA, 10.01.1960
- Member since 1925
- Escaped to the USA in 1936
- Specialist in internal medicine and metabolism researcher
Education and Places of Work
After studying medicine and obtaining his doctorate in 1921, David Adlersberg worked at the I. Medical Clinic of the University Hospital Vienna for 15 years. He first worked under Karl F. Wenckebach, then under the provisional management of Otto Porges from 1929 to 1933, and under Hans Eppinger from 1933.
He travelled to the USA in September 1934, where he made many scientific contacts.
His research focused on questions of metabolic pathology – especially diabetes mellitus and hypercholesterinaemia. He also dealt with liver function tests and bile secretion. David Adlersberg was extremely active in publishing and continued to publish even after his emigration to the USA.
Emigration to the USA in 1936
David Adlersberg and his wife Gisela Adlersberg left Europe on 22 April 1936, setting off from Le Havre, France, aboard the S.S. Champlain for New York.
Adlersberg worked as attending physician/clinical assistant to George Baehr at the medical division at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York and as research assistant at the department of chemistry in close cooperation with Harry Sobotka, the head of the department of laboratory chemistry. Adlersberg later worked at the department of clinical nutrition and metabolic diseases at Mount Sinai Hospital and taught as assistant clinical professor of medicine at Columbia University in New York. He had been publishing widely on cholesterol metabolism, diabetes mellitus, malabsorption, sprue, and postgastrectomy syndrome in leading US journals since 1937.
David Adlersberg died in New York on 10 January 1960 at the age of 62.
- Mit Otto Porges: Zur Theorie und Praxis der kurativen Diabetesbehandlung. Klin Wochenschr 1926; 5: 1451-1455
- Gallensekretion und Gallenentleerung. Klinisch-experimentelle Untersuchungen. Leipzig/Wien: Franz Deuticke Verlag 1929
- Mit Otto Porges: Die Behandlung der Zuckerkrankheit mit fettarmer Kost. Berlin/Wien: Urban & Schwarzenberg 1929
- Mit Sheppard Siegal: Diet in the prevention of diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med 1938; 219: 194-197
- The malabsorption syndrome. Mt Sinai Monographs, London: Grune & Stratton 1957