Dr. med. Leo Caro
- Lodz/Łódź, Poland, 25.10.1869
- Berlin, 02.12.1938
- Member since 1926
- Surgeon and gynaecologist in private practice and attending physician
Leo Caro grew up in a family with well-known rabbis among his ancestors. His father, Albert Abraham Caro, was a trained rabbi and worked as a merchant in Łódź. Leo Caro’s brother was the chemist and industralist Professor Nikodem Caro, who left Germany after the National Socialists had come to power in 1933.
Education and Places of Work
Caro studied medicine in Prague and Berlin. He completed his training at the Jewish Hospital in Berlin under the surgeon and urologist James Israel, among others.
After having initially worked as a general practitioner, Caro practised as a private surgeon and gynaecologist in Berlin from 1909. He also worked as a consultant at the Berlin-Schöneberg Clinic. In addition, he served as an independent medical examiner for the Quarry Employers’ Liability Insurance Association. He was awarded the honorary title “Sanitätsrat” (medical councillor) in recognition of his achievements.
Caro actively participated in the First World War and was in charge of a field hospital in Döberitz near Berlin.
He served as chairman of the Prinzregentenstrasse synagogue community in Berlin.
Leo Caro lost his health insurance licence and worked as a so-called “Krankenbehandler” (Nazi terminology for a Jewish doctor permitted to treat Jewish patients only) from October 1938.
He died in Berlin on 2 December 1938 at the age of 69. His wife Lilly Caro, née Joseph, and his son Heinz Caro managed to escape to Palestine.